Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Cry the Beloved Country: Part I

I'm really starting to love Paton's style of writing.  He's poetic and uses extreme detail, but at the same time gets straight to the point. The lack of quotation marks is somewhat annoying (and at times confusing), but kudos to you, Alan Paton, for being different. 
The main theme that I've seen throughout this entire book is definitely patriotism.  Every person in this book seems to be driven by doing what's good for Africa.  Kumalo wants to preserve the tribal system and his own village.  His brother, who seems to be the complete opposite, is motivated by greed, and wants better wages for the natives.  Everyone seems to want Africa to succeed, but there seems to be confusion on how to get it done.
Johannesburg seems to be everything that is right and wrong with South Africa.  There is crime and poverty, but there is also the chance for a "native" to succeed.  Segregation is also practiced, but many people, both white and black, seem willing to work to end. Father Vincent says this to Kumalo about Johannesburg: " You will learn much here in Johannesburg... It is not only in your place that there is destruction." I'd say that line is totally correct. Everyone in Africa seems to be experiencing destruction, and no one agrees on how to fix it. 
 I just feel sort of bad for Africa...as strange as that sounds.  

3 comments:

  1. I am glad that you like Paton's writing style. I love it. There is such beauty in the way he describes the countryside. It almost makes me want to move there... except for all the crazy heat-- but then again-- it's been super hot here, lately! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like his style of writing too! It makes me think he's my grandfather and he's telling me a bedtime story. Only it's really depressing and he's African.

    ReplyDelete
  3. His style of writing is easy to read which a like, but the lack of quotations does get confusing sometimes. I'm glad it ended somewhat happily which I honestly was not expecting.

    ReplyDelete