Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Cry the Beloved Country: Part III

I loved this book. After Part II I wasn't too sure I would be satisfied with the ending, but I was totally wrong. Paton wrapped the book up with an incredibly hopeful (and oddly inspiring) ending.
I was really glad to see some amends between Jarvis and Kumalo. Both lost their son, and I think both felt pity for the other and was trying to do what was right. It was nice to see the two worlds of Kumalo and Jarvis come together; even if such painful obstacles were the thing that forced it to happen.  Together they worked to create a better South Africa, starting with Kumalo's small village. I think Jarvis was mostly motivated to carry on his son's dreams and teachings.  Kumalo wanted to because he had witnessed what happened when the tribal system broke down.  Paton writes that "The great city had opened his eyes to something that had begun and must now be continued." Kumalo witnessed and felt on the most personal level what happened when South African tribes stopped instilling a sense of moral in the native, so he did what little he could to fix it.
Probably one of my favorite parts of the entire book was Kumalo's pilgrimage up to the mountain.  He relied on his faith continuously throughout the book.  Only failing once or twice when he was tempted a thousand times.  He sits there on top of a mountain and prays; not only for his son and sister who have fallen, but he includes thanksgiving in his prayer. I was just really amazed.
So thank you, Alan Paton, for a great book.

2 comments:

  1. Luke, I am glad that by the end of the book you were a fan. I think Paton writes beautifully. His ability to contrast the beauty of the countryside against the discrimination, crime and injustice kept me involved in the story. Kumalo’s goodness makes Absalom’s life a bit more tolerable too. Mary Poppins said, “a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down.” I think that was Paton’s motivation too.

    ReplyDelete