Sunday, July 31, 2011

House of Mirth: Chapter 10- Book II

I found this section of the book a bit boring.  Except for the occasional creepy antics of Mr.Trenor, it is rather uneventful.
I am beginning to get more attached to the characters though.  Lily Bart is so realistic that I can't help but feel a little sorry for her.  She has so many flaws and causes so many problems for herself.  Lily falls victim to many of her society's faults; Selden describes himself as wanting to take her" beyond the ugliness, the pettiness, the attrition and the corrosion of the soul". Even though she is flawed, Selden sees the these problems and still wants to love her.
Speaking of love and flaws, I think she is a complete idiot for not immediately accepting Mr.Rosedale's proposal. He fits every qualification....well he's rich, and that is really all she's after. Rosedale even acknowledges that he is okay that she doesn't love him as much; he just wants someone to fulfill the role of his wife. I'm assuming she'll run off to Europe and sabotage her superficial happiness, yet again.

One last thing: Kudos to you Lily Bart for not fulfilling the complete role of a prostitute and having an affair with Mr.Trenor.

1 comment: