Tuesday, September 27, 2011

King Lear: Scene 3

Woah. Slow down. Things just got crazy...well, more crazy.

Regan and Cornwall totally went off the deep end.  You do not pluck someone's eyes out and then step on it! (Totally reminded me of Kill Bill for some reason). I get Regan going a bit crazy, it may just be in her blood, but Cornwall seems to be doing most of the damage.  Cornwall's lines "Though well we may not pass upon his life/ Without the form of justice, yet our power/ Shall do a court'sy to our wrath, which men/ May blame but not control"(3.7 25-8). He's pretty much saying "Screw the rules, I'll do what I want". They're going rogue!

And the scene in the cave with King Lear, Edgar, and the Fool holding the mock trial really creeped me out.  Something about the amount of insanity really disturbed me.  The Fool was especially frightening, cause to me it seemed like he was just pushing them further into their madness.

6 comments:

  1. The cave scene creeped me out and made me laugh all at the same time. Edgar creeped me out the most since we knew he was only acting, yet he kept playing along. And he kept talking about demons. Weird!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Edmund's favorite word was definitely fiend. Odd choice. Cornwall and Regan's violence did come as a slight shock to me. I knew they were always cruel, but that just seemed kind of extreme and gross. And the cave scene... they're all so insane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "They're going rogue" may be my favorite comment of the night! :)
    Cornwall in an interesting compare to Albany-- one weak, the other strong. He's crazy pants, yo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh. you all are crazy. The cave scene IS THE BEST PART. That is like my favorite part so far. I love Tom and Lear there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Luke, what exactly would you do with someone’s eyeballs after you plucked them out? Anyway, I agree with you about how the mock trial is a bit disturbing. During the trial, the Fool made everyone think they were insane. That reinforced the fact that the Fool was smart because he was able to stay one step ahead of everybody.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heather is so wise. I agree with her. And I agree with Luke. That scene might as well be a Sarah Palin book. Cornwall is so powerful now... I don't like it at all. He be crazy.

    ReplyDelete