So far this book completely reminds me of Cry, the Beloved Country. Everyone is suffering. The modern world invades the traditional village, and then slowly causes more suffering. Sinful behavior is on the rise. Prostitution is evident. It just mirrors it a lot. Also religion is quite a big part of the Indian life as it was in South Africa. I just feel like I'm reading the same book again. Even this quote reminded of Cry, the Beloved Country: "Hope and fear. Twin forces that tugged at us first in one direction and then in another, and which was stronger no one could say."
Monday, August 8, 2011
Nectar In A Sieve: Part I
This book is boring. Its so simple that I'm not even sure I could qualify it in the usual "literature" spot. It's not very thought provoking nor does it require an analysis of any kind. The author rights so simply and lays things so directly in front of you that a rather amazing story comes off a boring. Going into this, I thought a story about India would be colorful and symbolic, but Markandaya disappoints. I think some of it may come from the difference between an American style of writing and an Indian one. I'm probably just an ignorant American who expects to be wow'ed all the time, so I apologize.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment